Golfer among top in state not allowed on team

Patrice Graham

Ninth grader Daniel Chang poses with his driver. He cannot compete on the team in his first year at U-High due to temporarily enrolling at Naperville North High School and their golf team after the school year started. Daniel was recently ranked third in Illinois for the Class of 2026 following recent tournaments.

Mia Lipson, Reporter

Since he was 6 years old, walking around the golf course with his dad, Daniel Chang has developed an interest in golf. Today, having become one of Illinois’ best high school players, he cannot compete.

This year, due to his his temporary enrollment at another high school and participation on their golf team, ninth grader Daniel Chang cannot play for U-High’s golf team this year or participate at all in the competition season.

In early August, when the high school golf season began, Daniel was enrolled at Naperville North High School and played for NN- HS’s golf team for approximately two weeks.

Then he transferred to U-High. A bylaw from the Illinois High School Association states that if a student begins at one school and transfers to another, they are ineligible to compete in that term.

Athletics Director David Ribbens filed an appeal to the ISHA, requesting leniency so Daniel would be allowed to compete for U-High, but his request was denied.

Recently, Daniel was ranked third in state for members of the Illinois Class of 2026, based on an average of his recent tournament performances. Since the appeal was rejected, he is prohibited from competing in his first high school season.

“I think it’s definitely disappointing that I can’t participate this year. I understand why I can’t play and I think it’s fair, but it’s kind of frustrating at the same time,” Daniel said. “I really liked how the team was kind of together, like it was like a family atmosphere, and it was something that I wanted to join.”

Instead of playing for a team, Daniel will continue to practice, but not compete, for the rest of the season.

In the meantime, Mr. Ribbens has welcomed Daniel to practice with U-High’s team, an experience which Daniel has greatly appreciated.

Mr. Ribbens is optimistic for when Daniel will be able to play for the team.

“I think he will make the team better, and he gives others around him confidence,” Mr. Ribbens said. “I think he’s the kind of person that will be a good leader for the team in the future.”

Daniel echoed Mr. Ribbens’ sentiments, hopeful for his remaining three years at U-High.

“I’m just preparing myself for next year to compete,” Daniel said. “We’ve got a lot of depth in our team, so I’m just excited for when that time comes.”