UChicago pro-Palestine encampment faces opposition yet stands with goals
Known for vibrant personality, Heavenly Hicks welcomes students, provides support

Your guide to staying informed in an AI-impacted world

Midway Staff
Now, with the rise of AI in recent years, misinformation is more accessible and harder to spot than ever before. The Midway has compiled a list of resources and tools to help you best stay informed.

One year ago, the online information rating system NewsGuard identified 49 news sites appearing to be entirely or almost entirely written and developed by artificial intelligence software. Now, as of April 15, the platform has identified over 800 sites currently promoting false accounts created by artificial intelligence appliances and operating with little to no human management. 

The rise of AI in recent years has made the invention and implementation of such mock sites more accessible — and misinformation far more prevalent — than ever before. It is important to stay informed with accurate and truthful information, especially in a rapidly developing technological landscape. Using credible, trustworthy sourcing, the Midway has compiled a list of resources and tools to help you best stay informed.

Tips for finding credible news:

Be skeptical. Don’t believe everything you see online, as some news sites and stories may lie about topics and events in an effort to get more attention. The sites are often made to mimic credible sites, typically containing exaggerated information and factual errors. It’s especially important to be aware of this ahead of the presidential election.

Check facts. Verify authors, dates and specific details from multiple sources to fact-check information provided in a story.

Consult experts. Seek guidance from librarians or individuals who are knowledgeable in the field of interest — not people pretending to be so or who are only stating an opinion.

Understand your own biases. Your immediate environment can influence your views, and knowing this is especially valuable in determining the credibility of information. Seek diverse sources to broaden your perspective and gain a more balanced understanding of issues. 

Be careful when sharing content. Assess the whole story before sharing with others, as the sharing of false information could promote misinformation. Be aware of how AI technology can and has been used to spread false narratives.

Recommended news platforms:

The New York Times: A leader in politics, business and culture reporting, The NYT is widely regarded as one of the most influential American newspapers. Some aspects of the organization are more progressive and left-leaning, but it overall adheres to ethical, independent journalism.

The Wall Street Journal: Specializing in business, money and global economics, the WSJ is known for its fact-based reporting and bold arguments. Its editorial board is known for its strong conservative positions, while the news section is more centrist.

The Washington Post: An organization sharing similar recognition as the NYT and WSJ, the Post specializes in national politics and exploring governmental systems and processes. The site generally leans left but has occasionally endorsed Republican candidates.

AP News: A global news organization that strives for high-quality, timely and unbiased journalism through hard-hitting stories presented in many different mediums, including written, audio, visual storytelling. The AP emphasizes nonpartisan and moderate reporting.

Reuters: Like the AP, a global, nonpartisan wire service that serves a range of other news organizations. Reuters targets business- and professional-oriented individuals with in-depth reporting in a range of subjects including government, sports, healthcare and machine learning. 

ProPublica: An independent, nonprofit newsroom that supports an investigative local reporting network to cover topics like environmental pollution, criminal justice, primary education and housing. The organization tends to lean left.

PBS NewsHour: A daily airing television broadcast, PBS NewsHour is known for its in-depth coverage of ongoing issues and current events. Its focused coverage spans topics in social enterprise, health, education, the economy, politics, arts and news. The broadcast leans left, but it produces several other news and political specials representing varied views.

The Chicago Tribune: The flagship publication of the Chicago Tribune Media Group, the Tribune is one of the most-read newspapers in Chicagoland. The paper covers news, sports, entertainment, history and more in Chicago and its surrounding areas. The Tribune is moderate and takes both conservative and liberal positions in various sections.

Block Club Chicago: A nonprofit, local organization, Block Club Chicago covers a range of current topics from news, weather, policy, history, trends and pop culture. It strives to represent Chicago’s diverse neighborhoods with accurate, interesting content. It tends to be left leaning.