Colleges should offer exemptions from living on-campus

Colleges should reconsider mandating first-year students to live on campus.

Edward Park, Reporter

The majority of colleges in the United States require first-year students to live on campus in order to provide them a better idea of the school culture and community, helping them stay more connected to both the school and their peers. 

Nevertheless, schools should allow exemptions to students whose families live close to campus as this requirement may cause them a number of inconveniences. 

The fact that a student has a family that they could talk to on a daily basis would provide both the student and the parent a sense of security.

Students are also more likely to stay connected with their families since they tend to see them a lot more compared to their peers, which makes the students worry less about the homesickness their peers struggle with.

Despite some claiming that college is about growing up independently and learning to live a life without parental support, paying dorm fees even though one has a family near campus is wasteful, considering financial technology company Mos estimates that the typical dorm fee is between $8,000 to $15,000 per year.

By providing an exemption for students with families living near campus into the school system, the college can provide certain students a better and more stable environment, bringing advantages for both students and the school.