UChicago pro-Palestine encampment faces opposition yet stands with goals
Known for vibrant personality, Heavenly Hicks welcomes students, provides support

Virtual checkmate: Students engage and make friends through online chess

Peyton Palmer
Playing against each other and with strangers across the world, the students strategize and bond over online chess, a game they all enjoy. 

In groups, students can be seen on their computers deeply engaged. Playing against each other and with strangers across the world, the students strategize and bond over online chess, a game they all enjoy. 

“There is a lot of camaraderie when playing chess,” said Sam Pastor, the president of U-High’s chess club. “It’s just a fun way to spend time together and hang out. Having a game that is convenient and can bond us all together has created some pretty strong friendships.”

According to the New York Times, chess boomed in popularity due to the Netflix show “The Queen’s Gambit” and the pandemic. 

U-High students make up some of the 100 million users on the No. 1 online chess platform, chess.com. They enjoy playing online chess as an easy and engaging way to spend time with friends.

Sophomore James Hubbard played chess for one to two hours daily over the summer. During the school year, he plays one to two games during lunch and a few games when he gets home before starting homework. 

James, who is not part of the chess club, plays the game with his friend in the cafeteria. An avid online chess player, James said he and his friends enjoy the game because of the community it has created.

“Sometimes we play mini chess tournaments during lunch,” he said, “or we have a team account where we play against other players as a team.”

He said online chess allows for a fun game with flexibility for him and his friends. 

“If you’re playing over the board, I have to go to Harold Washington Park or out to 53rd Street. If you’re playing online, you get to stay in your own house,” James said. “You can put on some music and play with people all around the world.”

James said he also enjoys playing online chess because platforms like chess.com track his progress and skill level. Chess.com uses an Elo rating system that calculates players’ skill levels depending on how many games they win or lose. Users are matched with similarly ranked players. 

While chess club member William Zhang prefers playing with a board, he said online chess offers a number of advantages.

“With online chess, you can play wherever you want, and you don’t constantly have to have someone next to you, which is not possible all the time,” William said.

Sam said there are not enough physical chess boards for the 10- to 15-member club to use, and online chess accommodates the entire club with a fun game they all enjoy. 

Sam said, “When you get that many people in a room focusing on one thing, there is a whole lot to learn from everyone, and online chess allows for that.”