From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

History classes should study more current events

Midway Staff
Kabir Joshi argues history classes should bring more current events into the classroom.

Every year, most U-High students sign up for at least one history course. The history department offers courses ranging from Early World History to AT U.S. History, all covering important historical events. Currently, many history classes that focus on Middle Eastern history are discussing the Israel-Hamas war as it relates to many historical events. This is one example of connecting current history to events.

To create an enhanced history curriculum where students can learn about topics that might not be specifically related to the topic they are studying, current events should be brought into the classroom.

Discussing current events should become a baseline for all history classes because learning about current events in relation to historical events prevents misinformation. Teachers could work to cite and vet information that students receive instead of students acquiring information from sources that may not be accurate.

Incorporating more current events into classes also allows students to make connections to the topic they are studying in a way that might not be covered in the current curriculum. This can lead to better understanding of the topic, and it can be more interesting and fun for students as they would understand the topic and be able to relate to it on a personal level.

The history department should work to blend current events more with the existing curriculum to allow students to better understand and enjoy the course.