More than $1,000 raised for Dig Pink

Breast cancer survivor speaks at fundraiser

Kathy Luan

Varsity volleyball players celebrate after a play at Dig Pink fundraiser

Olivia Griffin, Reporter

With the money still being counted, varsity and JV volleyball teams raised at least $1,000 to support the nationwide breast cancer research fundraising campaign Dig Pink. 

Everyone on varsity and JV contributed to the organization of the fundraiser and volunteered to help raise money in the weeks leading up to the Dip Pink volleyball games on Sept. 27. The volleyball teams have participated in the program annually by having a Dig Pink home game every season.  

The Dig Pink program was created by the Side-Out Foundation to raise money for stage 4 breast cancer research through games with high schools, club teams and tournaments around the country. 

Every year, the varsity team hosts a breast cancer survivor as a guest of honor at the game. This year, Ariana Vazquez, a JV sophomore, introduced Jeannette Levitt, mother of current junior Nick, sophomore Sophie, and 2016 graduates Amanda and Lily Levitt.

“She is a strong survivor, and we thank her for agreeing to be here tonight to help us spread awareness and raise money for this important cause,” Ariana said to the audience in Upper Kovler before presenting Ms. Levitt with flowers.

Fundraising for the cause took place for two weeks and included selling baked goods and T-shirts designed by students.