University of Chicago to provide free COVID-19 vaccines to students May 22

Junior+Jennifer+Huo+gets+her+second+vaccine+dose+April+8+at+the+University+of+Chicago+Hospital.+The+University+of+Chicago+will+offer+free+COVID-19+vaccines+to+all+Lab+or+UChicago+Charter+students%2C+employees%2C+children+of+employees+and+family+members+and+caregivers+of+students+and+employees+ages+12+or+older+on+May+22.+

Amy Ren

Junior Jennifer Huo gets her second vaccine dose April 8 at the University of Chicago Hospital. The University of Chicago will offer free COVID-19 vaccines to all Lab or UChicago Charter students, employees, children of employees and family members and caregivers of students and employees ages 12 or older on May 22.

William Tan, Reporter

The University of Chicago will offer free COVID-19 vaccines to the Laboratory Schools and UChicago Charter affiliates on May 22. The vaccine distribution will be held on campus and is coordinated with the Chicago Department of Public Health and Health4Chicago, an on-site vaccination service from the University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital.

All Lab or UChicago Charter students, employees, children of employees and family members and caregivers of students and employees ages 12 or older are eligible to receive their first dose of the vaccine on May 22. The second dose will be administered on June 12.

“There will be three different stations where people can get vaccinated,” Kristen Szewczyk, the lead nurse at Lab, said in an interview. “One is going to be Comer Children’s Hospital, which has a mobile health unit. And then there’ll be two additional outdoor stations where people will be directed to get vaccinated.”

Vaccinations will be provided at no cost, with insurance billed as necessary. To register, call the Comer Children’s Hospital at 773-702-6169, press #1 and mention the UChicago Charter/Lab COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic. 

“This summer, there’s going to be certain events like concerts that high school students might be interested in being vaccinated for,” Ms. Szewczyk said. “I’m really hoping to catch people who may need additional incentives to try to get vaccinated.” 

Any questions can be emailed to Kristen Szewczyk or Jen Burns, medical director of pediatric and family travel clinic at the University of Chicago’s Comer Children’s Hospital.