Midway will be taking a break over the summer
After reminiscing with fond memories, Class of 2024 graduates in Rockefeller Chapel

Individuals, organizations recognized in student awards assembly

Delaney Connell
Junior Joshua Carter receives a Citizenship Award from assistant principal Zilkia Rivera-Vazquez during the Student Awards Assembly in Griffin Auditorium on May 30.

Applause and cheers filled the Griffin Auditorium on May 30 as students and faculty honored their peers at the Student Awards Assembly, celebrating the graduating Class of 2024 and highlighting the work of outstanding students and student organizations.

“Throughout the year I’ve witnessed your talents doing classroom visits, at culture and community celebrations, conferences, athletic games, concerts and plays, all of which showcase your dedication to academic excellence, social justice, the arts and balance,” Principal Martin Woods said in his opening statement.

Faculty, administrators and students presented awards that recognized the community’s academic achievements, citizenship and goodwill, while individual department recognitions were printed in the program. 

Two musical performances provided interludes between award presentations.

Academic teams were recognized for their accomplishments and student clubs were recognized with the L.A.B. award, which highlights clubs that cultivate leadership, action and belonging.

The Phoenix Award, the only student-determined award, was announced at the end of the assembly. It recognizes one student from each high school class for their generosity and contributions to the Lab community.

Senior Marlena Leuz received the Phoenix Award for the Class of 2024.

“I’m super overwhelmed, I totally was not expecting to win the award, but I feel super honored and just this whole assembly and the clap out has a completely different feeling when it’s your turn,” Marlena said. “Seeing all my classmates being awarded and recognized and even receiving an award myself made me really grateful for the people I’ve been around, and I’m going to miss everyone.”

Awards announced at the assembly:

Brent Cawelti Award in honor of the late U-Higher, recognizing seniors who have made considerable progress during their high school years, been academically strong, and participated in co-curricular activities or sports: Ella Cohen-Richie, Myles Cobb

Alan Stern Award in honor of the late alumnus to seniors in the creative arts: Eliza Dearing, Sahana Unni

Citizenship Awards:

9th grade: Zoe Cobb, Ja’Far Summers

10th grade: Victor Chen, Adam Tapper

11th grade: Joshua Carter, Orly Eggener, Sonakshi Mutreja, Juliana Walker

12th grade: Lucas Caldentey, Carter Chang, Daisy Coleman, Cassia Collins, Yolotzin Martinez

Senior Service Awards: Zoe Nathwani, Katie Sasamoto-Kurisu

L.A.B Awards: ArtsFest, Asian Students’ Association, B.R.A.V.E. Board, DEI Peer Facilitators, Grid Puzzles Club, Intersectional Feminism, Jewish Students’ Association, Junior Student Council, Latinos Unidos, Social Justice Week Committee, Young Men of Color, Young Women of Color

Bill Zarvis Award: Poppy Beiser, Emily Brennan, Erika Budeselich, Zara Campbell, Carter Chang, Myles Cobb, Ellis Domenick, Sasha Duda, Olivia Gin, Charlie Henger, Austin Kim, Jacob Liu, Kaden Moubayed, Leyton Mueller, Santana Romero, Sohail Sajdeh, Katie Sasamoto-Kurisu, Tara Sawhney, Haley Sturgill, Stella Sturgill, Adam Tang

James Wherry-Willis Award: Mary Bridget Molony

William “Doc” Monilaw Medalists: Ella Cohen-Richie, Mason List, Elizabeth Oyler, Tomasz Witkowski

David Scheunemann Award in honor of the late alumnus to a junior with outstanding accomplishments in music, literature and science, and with diverse interests: Noah Hoereth

Faith Dremmer Award in honor of the late U-Higher to a student who manifests her many personal and academic qualities: Asher Grossman

Phoenix Awards:

9th grade: Bryce Kenny

10th grade: Adelina Mejia

11th grade: Mia Lipson

12th grade: Marlena Leuz