Women in STEM lead active change

Editorial Board

Since last spring, young women at U-High have been paired with female undergraduates from the University of Chicago who study science, technology, engineering or mathematics. This partnership has given students both a mentor and an example to follow when it comes to being successful in STEM. This partnership has also provided the teens a sense of hope because gives students someone they can interact with on a more personal level, more than someone who comes to speak during a club meeting.

The Women in STEM club has also set up partnerships with other high schools across the country, giving students an opportunity to discuss inequalities of roles of women and men in STEM with other women outside of the Lab Schools bubble. This broadens the discussion from the typical Lab student to kids from all different backgrounds. Additionally, an outreach program for elementary school students will instill in the youngest students the idea that going into STEM fields can lead to success.

Illustration by Amber Huo

This club was created not just because one student was interested, but because U-High lacked a place where students could voice their opinions on the significant topic: the bias toward men in STEM. The U-High community really needed this club. Tangible work such as this is what clubs at U-High could use more of.

Founded by one student, Ananya Asthana, Women in STEM is for students and run by students. Ananya and other club members were able to take a passion and make a solution tangible. It’s important to recognize that the club was not created by the administration or by a teacher. It is driven solely by students, and the efforts they put into the club are contributing to the club’s success.

Women in STEM’s focus is to empower young women at Lab and prove that although historically men have dominated in STEM, women can be just as successful. We encourage more clubs that empower students to strive for goals that may seem unattainable, that discuss inequalities and are geared toward solving problems with experiences.

As students think about starting clubs for the rest of this year and into next year, they would benefit from following the path that Women in STEM has laid.

This editorial represents the opinion of the Midway’s Editorial Board.