Midway will be taking a break over the summer
After reminiscing with fond memories, Class of 2024 graduates in Rockefeller Chapel

Vox pop: Cicadapalooza

Midway Staff
Photos from Katja Schulz via flickr; USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Program via rawpixel; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service via rawpixel; WikiWookie via wikimedia; Moonlight0551 via wikimedia

Students were given an explanation of the cicada emergence this summer. They were asked to describe their reaction with one word and explain their choice.

“I feel mortified. Ever since I was 2, I’ve had a phobia of cicadas, and this is really bad for me. I don’t think I’ll be able to go outside all summer.”

— George Ofori-Mante, junior

“I feel like I’m going to be pretty annoyed by the cicadas. They’re really loud and obnoxious during the summer, so I am definitely not looking forward to them.”

— Alex Cruz, ninth grader

“It’s kind of shocking for me. I just really don’t know how it’s going to affect my summer plans.”

— Katie Williams, senior

“I’m very interested by this because I wonder how loud the sound of the cicadas will be. I hear them every year, but I wonder how the two broods will sound together.”

— Arhan Ganapathi, junior

“I’m feeling pretty scared of the cicadas. I’m really not a fan of bugs so the idea of stepping on bugs is a little bit disturbing for me.”

— Dallan Krewatch, sophomore

“I’m excited honestly, I like cicadas, I think all the time I spent with my grandparents hearing cicadas, so they’re really a part of my childhood.”

— Oscar Kasthuri, junior