With ‘Transparent’ can we separate art from artist?

Michael Rubin, Managing Editor

Uncertainty. Unresolved tension. Chaos.

As sexual harassment allegations against members of the entertainment industry mount, producers for affected movies and shows need to set aside the previously positive buzz surrounding their shows and accept the pending prosecutions of their star performers. It will undoubtedly be hard to enjoy these shows knowing these actors are accused criminals and predators, and many will choose to end their viewership.

Can we separate the art from the artist?

Since multiple sexual harassment claims against producer Harvey Weinstein were made public, a flurry of sexual harassment claims have been filed against other actors and we have seen increased social acceptance of victims sharing experiences. As star actors Kevin Spacey, from Netflix’s “House of Cards,” and Jeffrey Tambor, from Amazon Studios’ “Transparent,” face individual allegations of misconduct, the future of their respective television shows have been severely jeopardized.

Fans of these shows will face a difficult choice: ending support for the television shows in protest against the fallen stars, or finding a way to continue enjoying these shows without recognizing the disturbing crimes their actors have made. It is crucial for fans to object to misconduct of this nature by refusing to support the individual actors, rather than refusing to support the shows themselves.

Considering the undeniable connection between the alleged perpetrators of these crimes and the art they helped create, some believe that supporting their television shows is an extension of supporting those individuals. Netflix initially released a statement claiming that the show would not continue production due to Mr. Spacey’s actions, but on Dec. 4, Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos announced that the show would continue production on a sixth season without Mr. Spacey.

On Nov. 19, Mr. Tambor, who plays Mort Pfefferman on “Transparent,” a professor of political science and parent of three who comes out as transgender, was accused of sexual misconduct by fellow cast member, Trace Lysette, as well as his former assistant.

Although I believe television shows whose actors are involved in sexual harassment scandals should cancel further production, “Transparent” is the exception. “Transparent” is a pioneer TV show unlike any other. By telling the narrative of a transgender woman, the show’s producers intended to help acclimate viewers to the difficulties and roadblocks transgender people face in American society. However, now that Tambor is under public scrutiny and investigation, many viewers may begin to pull away from the show, unable to continue supporting it based on his involvement.

Before accusations against Tambor were made public, Amazon Studios renewed the series for a fifth season in August. However, the show’s once-certain future is now in question due to Tambor’s inappropriate and selfish conduct. Amazon will face the difficult choice of replacing the lead actor to attempt salvaging the show or cancelling the show altogether.

Fans of “Transparent” must continue supporting the show after Tambor’s exit for the sake of spreading awareness and acceptance for the transgender community. Although viewers should not support Tambor as an individual if the allegations against him are accurate, the show’s cause is important to continue supporting.

The message conveyed by “Transparent” should not be overshadowed by Tambor’s actions. Unlike other shows which are byproducts of American consumerism, “Transparent” positively affects the LGBTQ+ community. “Transparent” producers must find a way to further the show’s agenda rather than allowing the transgender community to lose one of their most far-reaching narratives.

Producers should hire a transgender lead actor, which could be more effective than Tambor’s initial position.

Although some may feel uneasy supporting shows that contributed to unsafe work environments and benefited sexual predators, viewers must separate art from artist. Kevin Spacey is not Frank Underwood, nor is Jeffrey Tambor Mort Pfefferman, and it is crucial for the viewership to make this distinction.