Rhythmic Journey: U-High Band was founded through jazz, evolved into friendship
Spring musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ showcases story of rock idol

In district choir competition, all students received a superior

On+March+2%2C+13+U-High+Students+received+a+superior+ranking+in+an+Illinois+State+vocalist+competition.+
On March 2, 13 U-High Students received a superior ranking in an Illinois State vocalist competition.

Fifteen U-High choir students participated in the Illinois High School Association District Music Festival on March 2. All the vocalists who participated received a superior rating.

Vocal soloists: Sofia Ansari, Lily Davidson, ZC Findler, Gabi Novak, Sara Park, Kaavya Shriram, Sierra Stacy, Lena Valenti

Vocal trio: Max Mathias, Maurice Neuman, Lena Valenti

Vocal quartet: Tyler Chang, Delaney Connell, ZC Findler, Sara Park

The festival is more of a vocal evaluation than a competition, where the ensemble or soloist receives feedback from a judge and then a rating with Superior being the highest rating.

“If you don’t receive the best rating, I think that’s a really good learning experience,” Gabi said, adding that areas where the adjudicators deduct points can help the vocalist improve.

Both Gabi and Lena have participated in this festival — or the middle school version of it, IGSMA — since sixth grade.

Lena said she was more comfortable and at ease after so many years of experience.

“It just feels so much more relaxed. Like I wasn’t nervous at all because I did it so many times,” she said. “And yeah, I wanted to do well. Obviously, this was my last time doing it, but it kind of just felt more fun than any sort of pressure.”