From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

Doja Cat’s demonic persona, new music elicits opinions

Doja+Cats+most+recent+music+she+seemingly+expresses+her+authentic+self%2C+and+in+her+public+statements%2C+she+disses+her+ever-supportive+fans.+Her+actions+leaves+people+to+wonder+whether+her+actions+reflect+herself+or+a+persona+she+is+putting+on.+
Sourced from the “Demons” Music Video by Doja Cat
Doja Cat’s most recent music she seemingly expresses her ‘authentic self,’ and in her public statements, she disses her ever-supportive fans. Her actions leaves people to wonder whether her actions reflect herself or a persona she is putting on.

Devil homages. Demonic tattoos. Tweets embracing Satan. All of these encompass popular rapper Doja Cat’s recent persona, one that has both stirred controversy and boosted engagement among fans and people throughout the music world. The eccentric artist’s unorthodox demeanor has led some fans to appreciate her music for its increased authenticity — and leave others angry and denouncing the hatred expressed in her actions.

While in the past some music artists have been criticized for problematic themes in their public personas, Doja Cat’s recent behavior, despite slamming her own fans, has allowed her to amass a surge of support. Her recent single “Paint The Town Red” from her upcoming fourth studio album “Scarlet” has made history as the first female solo rap song to top Spotify’s Global and U.S. Top 50 Chart, and the fastest to reach 100 million streams, even after her controversial comments toward fans.

Since her departure from her traditional style of the pop-rap genre this past summer, the singer has dedicated herself to producing music that is less tailored to mainstream trends and more to what she believes is her authentic self. Her behavior has led some of her fans to question her music and behavior while also testing their fandom. 

“I used to really like her music in 2020 when it was really popular. It kind of had a pop vibe to it, and a little bit of rap. It was enjoyable because it didn’t have crazy themes in it,” junior Kaavya Peddinti said. “Her more recent music is kind of demonic, and the way she presents her music as well is also kind of concerning.”

Other fans have observed a noticeable change in both the effect and sound of Doja Cat’s music. Sophomore Maya Livni appreciates the artist’s enduring skill in crafting bold verses and sounds.

“In her new music, specifically ‘Attention’ and ‘Paint The Town Red,’ you can see her start going more into classic rap with good flow and lyricism,” Maya said. “I’m a big fan of her music, and her recent controversy has not really taken away from that at all.”

Sophomore Adelina Mejia is a listener who believes Doja Cat’s new music is appealing because of the statement it makes.

“I feel like her music has been a lot more vocal and opinionated about her own life. It just feels very confident to me,” Adelina said, adding she enjoys Doja Cat’s nonchalance and message in the lyrics.

The message the artist has conveyed in her music has also extended into her public presence, leading to feelings of betrayal of her most loyal supporters. After publicly attacking hardcore fans on social media for their allegiance to her in July, she lost over 500,000 followers on Instagram and several thousand on other platforms. Her public response to the situation expressed personal liberation and relief, sharing sentiments of not needing her fans nor caring what they think. 

“In my opinion,” Maya said, “I think she’s trying to spite people and lean against that sexuality image, but there’s a way to do that without being overly inflammatory and purposely trying to be negative toward people who don’t deserve it.”

Some fans believe Doja Cat’s public persona embracing Satanism and worshiping the devil is an act. They believe her pledge of personal authenticity has turned into a vessel for capturing attention. Listeners like Adelina recognize that though unconventional, the artist’s recent behavior seems to be working.

“It feels like she’s playing a character. She’s definitely trying to get her name out there. It’s like the phrase ‘any publicity is good publicity,’” Adelina said. “At least from what I’m seeing, I think that’s something that she’s definitely trying to do, and I don’t think that’s overtly something that makes a bad person. I think she’s doing what’s going to get a reaction.”

View Comments (1)