Pandemic restrictions impact community events

Increased safety protocols, new restrictions and a modified calendar at Lab have impacted community events. 

Katie Sasamoto-Kurisu, Reporter

Recent developments in the coronavirus pandemic have resulted in increased safety protocols, new restrictions and a modified calendar at Lab which has impacted community events. 

Martin Luther King Assembly, Jan. 13:

The school’s annual Martin Luther King Jr. assembly, hosted by the Black Students’ Association, will run differently than in past years. Instead of being held at the assembly hall or Rockefeller Chapel, the assembly will run on a regular Thursday assembly schedule in separate rooms as a group of workshops hosted by eight affinity club groups, BSA President Tech Nix said. To comply with the student occupancy cap, each affinity club will be split in half to run their workshop in smaller groups. Students will have an opportunity to select a workshop to attend.

Club meetings and activities:

General student clubs are also being impacted by the increased restrictions. According to Dean of Students Ana Campos, there will be an insistence of careful six feet spacing and masking protocols when eating during lunchtime club meetings. 

Similar to last spring, eating will be done first followed by club activities. For competitive clubs, the process is similar, where most competitive events are still virtual.

Senior Getaway:

The senior retreat, a gradewide event Feb. 10-12 in Galena, is also being adjusted. Instead of holding meals altogether in the ballroom of the lower level of the resort lodge, students will be in separate groups in five rooms plus the ballroom, Ms. Campos said. 

Masking is required indoors and optional outside when engaging in various activities.

Other community events:

A few other community events on the horizon include the employee holiday party and Connections 2022, which are to be rescheduled with more information to come. Such events can only take place if the protocols are followed.

“The students have to also play their part,” Ms. Campos said. “We all have a part to play.”