Working Life: Students can use the summer to get a job

Summer+can+be+the+perfect+time+to+find+a+job+that+can+help+give+an+introduction+to+the+work+force%2C+let+students+earn+money+and+give+them+something+to+do+over+the+summer.+

Kenneth Peters

Summer can be the perfect time to find a job that can help give an introduction to the work force, let students earn money and give them something to do over the summer.

Katie Sasamoto-Kurisu, Assistant Editor

As summer approaches, students face the decision of what to do during their free summer months. A common choice is finding a job, which gives them an introduction to the workforce and a source of income. Many kinds of jobs are available to high schoolers that are easily accessible within the Chicago area.

Jobs offered to high school students range in activity and difficulty. They can be held through big corporations like Morningstar and Citadel, nonprofit organizations like ACT Now Illinois and Inner City Impact, government institutions like the Chicago Park District and local establishments including grocery stores, restaurants and shops. The minimum wage in the City of Chicago for employees under 18 is $12. The minimum wage increases every July 1.

Many programs are designed to provide teenagers job opportunities. They cater directly to individuals in the Chicago area.

Some strong networks include:

• One Summer Chicago: Funded by the City of Chicago, One Summer Chicago offers jobs to those ages 14-24 in a range of fields and community businesses. Recent community employers include Bank of America, Chicago Defender Newspaper, Goldberg Law Office, Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and Loretto Hospital. 

Average pay: $15 an hour

Application deadline: June 2

• Chicago Park District Summer Job Portal: The Chicago Park District offers jobs to individuals 16 years and older through community-focused experiences. Positions are open for lifeguards, camp counselor recreation leaders, special recreation leaders and entry-level landscaping junior laborers. 

Average pay: $15.80 an hour

Application deadline: April 30

• After School Matters: After School Matters is a nonprofit organization that provides Chicago youth ages 14 and older various professional opportunities in the arts, communications, leadership, sports and STEM. Programs are categorized into apprenticeships for those 14 and older, assistantships for those 16 and older and internships for those 16 and older. 

Average pay: $15 an hour

Application deadline: June 2

Once an individual is hired, they also have to complete a few forms. Certain institutions have varying requirements. 

• I-9: The I-9 form, officially the Employment Eligibility Verification, is used to verify the identity and legal authorization of individuals hired for work in the United States. Every employee hired is required to fill out the form. Individuals under age 18 may have a parent or legal guardian fill out their form.
  • Working permit: The two versions of this form, the employment certificate and temporary employment certificate for minors, are maintained by the Illinois Department of Labor and are designed to comply with local child labor laws and regulate the employment of workers under 16. 
  • W-4: One of the most important forms is the W-4, which indicates to the employer the amount that will be withheld for federal and state income tax purposes. This form may also be used as an exemption from withholding if the individual won’t earn more than the standard deduction limit (the amount taken out from taxable income to reduce one’s tax bill).
  • W-2: At the end of the year, the employer sends this form containing information about earned income and amount of taxes withheld from a paycheck. This form is used to file federal and state taxes. It also contains information about provided benefits and contributions from the employer.