Rhythmic Journey: U-High Band was founded through jazz, evolved into friendship
Spring musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ showcases story of rock idol

Audio: Lab’s coffee shop develops new name and drinks

Leila Rezania
The Laboratory Schools Coffee Shop is getting a new name shortly, but that’s not the only thing that’s changing, the coffee shop has recently started offering some new seasonal drinks.

The Laboratory Schools Coffee Shop is getting a new name shortly, but that’s not the only thing that’s changing, the coffee shop has recently started offering some new seasonal drinks. Ninth grader Saanika Dutta, a Student Council member, has been involved in the naming process.

Saanika: The two I remember that were the most popular were the Lab Grind and Rise and Grind.

Of the seasonal drinks that have been added to the Lab Coffee Shop menu, the mocha in particular stood out to Saanika.

Saanika: I was really excited to try the Valentine’s Day mocha.

The idea of renaming the Coffee Shop was developed by the Food Committee on the Student Council, to make the Coffee Shop more fun and interesting.

Saanika: They kind of just workshopped some ideas, they were trying to make it like a fun name, which would make it like kind of a more fun addition to Lab.

Ariel Williams has been working at the coffee shop since January of 2020. She feels excited about the new drinks. 

Ms. Williams: Well, I love the Valentine’s drinks. … Yeah, we came up with the Valentine’s drinks and honestly the more we get better ingredients the better they get. Like, we just got a different raspberry syrup, and it is more raspberry flavored and it’s more colorful, so even though it was at the end of the month, after Valentine’s day, it was way prettier.

Over the course of her time at the Coffee Shop, Ms. Williams has seen and been part of many changes. 

Ms. Williams: We’ve had a lot of changes, I mean I’ve tried to bring new drinks, I’ve tried to, you know, start new traditions. 

Ms. Williams and many of her co-workers take an active role in improving and brightening this part of the Lab community.

Ms. Williams: Everybody has brought a piece of themselves into the job, because we actually care about it, you know? A lot of us do care, so you know we try to put some razzle dazzle on it. … That’s our spot, we have a good time up there with you all.

Sofia Schwartz, a ninth grade student, thinks the new drinks are a good addition.

Sofia: “I tried the lavender latte and I thought it was really good.”

Overall, Sofia and many other U-High students are excited to see this exciting part of lab life grow.

Sofia: “I think it’s really exciting that the café is growing, and it’s really exciting to see how it develops into a more successful business.” 

She thinks the coffee shop overall is a great addition to Lab.

Sofia: “I think it’s really important to acknowledge how lucky we are to have something like a coffee shop at our school, because it’s not something many schools have, and I think it’s awesome.”

With the U-High Midway, I’m Mira Reddy.