Artist will embrace community with new Corvus Gallery exhibit, educational visits

Olin Nafziger
Steve Prince, a nationally recognized master printmaker and teacher, will be visiting the Lab community following the opening of a new Corvus Gallery exhibit displaying his work.

A new Corvus Gallery exhibit, “Communal Resurrection: The Art of Steve Prince,” honors the work of nationally recognized master printmaker and teacher Steve Prince, whose portfolio emphasizes Black culture and highlights issues of civil rights and social justice. A public reception for Mr. Prince and his exhibit will take place Jan. 25 from 4-7 p.m in the Corvus Gallery in Gordon Parks Arts Hall. 

Mr. Prince will be active in middle school art classes and will lead a workshop for the entire middle school. Additionally, he will visit Black affinity spaces throughout the Lab community.

The main subject of the exhibit is a 4-feet-by-40-feet woodcut by the name of “Communal Resurrection: Song for Aya,” containing intricate symbolism and storytelling elements. Art teacher and Corvus Gallery director Gina Alicea, who is curating the exhibit, chose to display the original woodcut rather than a print copy. She said it makes the experience more authentic.

“It gives a different, visceral feeling when you actually see the wood rather than a piece of paper that’s just been printed out,” Ms. Alicea said. “When you walk into the gallery, you’re really impacted by that woodblock print because you can feel the energy and movement, supported by the music and history.”

Strongly impacted by the work of popular African American artists such as Elizabeth Catlett and Charlie W. White, Mr. Prince is well known for depicting Black figures and communities. Ms. Alicea said she believes introducing the work of Mr. Prince to the community will not only spark interest in his portfolio but in his inspirations too.

“Especially with Black History Month arriving in February,” Ms. Alicea said, “I think it’s really important to have this work on display for students, faculty and beyond to gain a broader knowledge of African American art history. I think it’s important for everyone to know that artists don’t just create and develop in a vacuum — they are influenced by other artists.”