7 seniors commit to play college athletics in community event

Kaden Moubayed
Seven U-High senior athletes signed letters of intent to their respective college sports programs on Feb. 26 at a ceremony held in Judd C-116. 

Surrounded by an atmosphere of supportive teammates, coaches, family members, friends and administrators, seven U-High senior athletes signed letters of intent to their respective college sports programs on Feb. 26 at a ceremony held in Judd C-116. 

The U-High student athletes who have committed to a college sports program are:

• Poppy Beiser, track and field, Washington University in St. Louis
  • Emily Brennan, volleyball, Bryn Mawr College
  • Ella Cohen-Richie, volleyball, Macalester College
  • Frances Lewis, rowing, Dartmouth College
  • Mason List, baseball, Colby College
  • Haley Sturgill, soccer, Carleton College
  • Stella Sturgill, soccer, Sarah Lawrence College

According to Mason, the grandeur of the event and a high community attendance made signing day an unforgettable experience for him.

“When I committed, I wasn’t planning on doing something as special as that,” Mason said. “I was planning on doing what the previous seniors had done, where they just would go in the cafeteria and sign in front of a few people during lunch. But showing up and seeing the amount of people there was so amazing. I’m really happy that they did that for us.”

Hoping to establish a tradition in his first year at U-High, athletics director Matt Manley said he was grateful for the opportunity to celebrate the athletes all at one time, rather than hosting separate events based on collegiate divisions or sports. Mr. Manley said he hopes the event occurs every year.

“It’s really special to be able to be there and celebrate with them and hear all about what they’ve done,” Mr. Manley said, “but also to hopefully start a tradition where a signing day for all of our committed athletes grows as a tradition at Lab.”

The event was organized with seniors Santana Romero and Sasha Watson of the U-High Athlete Council, a group Mr. Manley hosts consisting of the varsity captains of each sport, whose first priorities consisted of discussion about how to give meaning to signing day

Mr. Manley said the event is a heartfelt way for the Lab community to wish student athletes farewell as they pursue athletics in higher education.

“It’s special to have everybody in the room and celebrate these students who’ve done so much for the Lab athletics program, and their own athletics programs outside of school,” Mr. Manley said. “Being able to do that in front of families and coaches and other teammates only adds to the celebration and creates a really special moment. It shows just how much the Lab community loves and appreciates them.”