Spectrum takes positive approach toward social justice workshop
For younger students, Latinos Unidos events provide representation, joy

After 8 days, UChicago pro-Palestine encampment removed on morning of May 7

In the early hours of May 7, the University of Chicago police and operations employees shut down and cleared the pro-Palestinian encampment that had been established April 29 in the Main Quadrangle. 

UChicago police arrived at the encampment at 4:25 a.m. and began dismantling tents at 4:40 a.m., according to reports from the UChicago Maroon and UChicago Dean of Students Michele Rasmussen. At 6:08 a.m. final notices were thrown to the encampment protesters, warning that the UCPD is officially ending the encampment and they had the option to end it before police intervention. The notice also gave warnings on disciplinary action, including emergency interim leave of absence. 

By 6:32 a.m., trucks containing broken-down tents, art and barricades left the Main Quad. Remains from the encampment were left in dumpsters around campus.

At 7:28 a.m., an email from Dr. Rasmussen and Eric Heath, associate vice president for safety and security, to the university community announced the end of the encampment and explained the events of the morning. 

“While we anticipate further protests, we will not allow such activity to indefinitely disrupt the functioning or safety of the University,” the email stated. “UCPD officers have acted with purposeful restraint throughout the period of the encampment.”

By 8:10 a.m., the encampment had been removed from the Main Quad. No one was arrested during the police interactions.