Lab colloquium to explore Dewey legacy

Using art, event will illustrate founder’s impact

Image Provided by Jeremiah Hulsebos-Spofford

TALL AND PROUD. Jeremiah Hulsebos-Spofford, a Lab parent, has been working with students to make Dewey-related objects which will then be assembled to fill a large bust of John Dewey.

Maddie Welch, Midway Reporter

An event exploring Laboratory Schools founder John Dewey’s international impact will be held here May 2-4 to mark the centennial of Dr. Dewey’s historic trip to China.

During Dr. Dewey’s  time in China in spring 1919, he gave nearly 200 lectures about education, spreading his ideas about teaching.  

Through presentations, art exhibits, tours, panels and performances, the story of Dewey’s voyage to China will be shared to anyone who would like to attend the Centennial Colloquium. Lab students and faculty can attend for free and registration for the event can be found on Lab’s website.

“The history of Lab is that it was a hub where lots of people came to see what was happening in the school, but also to talk about education issues,” Lab Schools Director Charlie Abelmann said. “The colloquium leans into that history and uses this historical event as a reason for bringing people together to talk about Dewey’s significance then and now.”

There is a growing interest in Dr. Dewey’s educational values worldwide, according to Dr. Abelmann. His two strongest beliefs were that people learn best by doing and that education should help the whole child, as he strived to raise well-balanced students. Dr. Abelmann emphasized that those two timeless ideas will be highlighted in the colloquium for the 50 educational leaders from China and other attendees.

The event is more than just an academic conference, as it was made to inspire students and teachers by sharing Dr. Dewey’s story.

“My image of the event is like a bellows,” Dr. Abelmann said. “My hope is that the colloquium increases awareness around the significance of Dewey in China and as a result, gives more flame to the importance of the whole child and learning by doing.”

Dr. Abelmann mentioned that he hopes to raise awareness of Dr. Dewey through art by welcoming artists like Jeremiah Hulsebos-Spofford, who is crafting a 10-foot sculpture for the colloquium. The sculpture is a hollow bust of Dr. Dewey to be placed in the lobby of Gordon Parks Arts Hall and which will remain there after the colloquium. It’s also full of shelves for students’ art to be displayed. Additionally, an exhibit of paintings will be displayed in the Stewart Reading Room In Harper Memorial Library that are 7 feet by 4 feet each for the event.

Speakers James J. Heckman and Shi Zhongying open with lectures on May 2, with the exhibits of paintings to follow the same day. The schedule for May 3 includes academic panels about Dr. Dewey and current educational challenges as well as education in China today. The lower school choir will also sing for the international visitors to welcome them. Afterward, the student film made by four Lab students, four U. of C. Charter School Woodlawn students and four students from Lab’s partner school in Beijing will be shown. The film is based on their trip to China in summer 2018, where they retraced Dr. Dewey’s steps and presented the speeches he had given in the same places he visited nearly 100 years before.