Teachers to use Schoology gradebook for compiling assignments

Schoology

The Schoology gradebook was enabled Oct. 9, giving teachers the option to share grades with students within the learning management system.

Anathea Carrigan, Assistant Editor

In an effort to consolidate the number of online platforms, access to the Schoology gradebook was enabled Oct. 9, giving teachers the option to share grades with students within the learning management system.

In previous years, teachers were allowed to utilize any platform for their gradebook, and final grades were reported in PowerSchool at the end of each term. Teachers who choose to use the Schoology gradebook may allow their students access to see grades. 

Zachary Hund, science department chair, switched his classroom to a gradeless format last year to alleviate students’ stress and emphasize the learning process. 

There’s also a way to make sure the grade you are seeing is the grade the teacher has. Sometimes there’s an issue with putting the grade in wrong in the gradebook as a teacher and as a student you can correct that.

— Zachary Hund

However, Dr. Hund said while it may be a hassle for teachers, the gradebook is helpful for students to track assignments.

“I’ve definitely feel like I’ve picked up a lot of secretarial duties in that I spend a lot of time and effort thinking about what’s on Schoology, how did I grade it and is that available, is that published,” Dr. Hund said. “There’s times as a student where you forget to turn something in, or you forget that something was due, and now this is an opportunity to see that you never turned in homework.”

Additionally, Dr. Hund believes that the Schoology gradebook can lessen communication errors between students and their teachers. 

“There’s also a way to make sure the grade you are seeing is the grade the teacher has. Sometimes there’s an issue with putting the grade in wrong in the gradebook as a teacher and as a student you can correct that,” Dr. Hund said.

Naadia Owens, history department chair, has opted out of using the Schoology gradebook, but she is providing her students progress reports to make sure everything has been submitted and to give feedback. 

“On their progress reports, students can see whether or not I’ve received an assignment, whether or not it’s complete and whether or not they need to do revision and a little bit of feedback,” Ms. Owens said.  

Ms. Owens believes the most beneficial aspect of allowing students to see their grades is that they can tell what is missing. 

“I think it’s great that students can now know when they’re missing an assignment or see what needs to be revised,” Ms. Owens said. “I think it’s good that students know on the most basic level when they’re missing work and what they can be doing to improve.”