Students advocate for reproductive rights in new club

Aubrey Felsen
Leaders Sygne Stole and Angela Zhang review content during a PINKRR meeting. PINKRR has been established to focus on the materialistic actions that can be done to improve reproductive advocacy and menstrual health

PINKRR has been established as a club this year to focus on the materialistic actions that can be done to improve reproductive advocacy and menstrual health in the local community by raising money and distributing care packages. 

Over the summer, Angela Zhang, Sofia Ansari, Sygne Stole and Neha Dhawan realized they all have a similar passion for reproductive rights.

“Regardless of where you stand politically, I feel like the issue of reproductive advocacy and menstrual health should be more of a welfare and humanitarian issue,” Angela said. 

Originally they were going to make PINKRR an organization outside of Lab, but when they had the opportunity to make it a club, they took it.

According to Angela, the main goals of PINKRR are to work with community partners to have a tangible and quantitative impact on the local community. Examples include unhoused people who need menstrual products and can’t afford them, or people coming to Illinois from other states that need access to abortion care.

Angela said that unlike clubs focused on discussion, PINKRR will reach these goals by having speaker events focused on the medical aspects of abortion care, fundraisers, care packages, partnering with organizations in the community, and service. 

Angela feels that although Lab is doing well by having menstrual products in bathrooms and a strong emphasis on DEI, even more could be improved.

She said, “I think there could be more attention drawn to something that half the population experiences.”

View Comments (1)