U-High alumnus to give Princeton salutatorian speech in Latin
Makeup and misinformation: Social media has lasting effects on preteen skincare

Submissions open for Social Justice Week workshops

The Social Justice Committee is now accepting workshop submissions for Social Justice Week, which will be held during the week of April 8. 

There will be activities each day at lunch, but the workshops will occur during Lab C and Lab D on April 10. Submissions can be made through the Google form posted to the updates of each Schoology grade page. Submissions are due Feb. 26. 

Social Justice Week is an annual U-High event centered around DEI and the student experience, with each workshop involving one of eight social identifiers.

This year’s theme is VOICE, an acronym for value, open-mindedness, intersection, connection and evolution.

Sonakshi Mutreja, one of the co-presidents of the Social Justice Committee, said the goal of the event is to bring awareness to issues students find important.

Social Justice Week is full of activities that center around the student experience, Sonakshi said. It involves any issues that people would like to discuss, bring awareness to, or educate the U-High community about.

For participants, workshops will provide an introduction to new ideas and experiences.

“We hope that students will learn something, they will see a new perspective, be introduced to something they didn’t know,” Sonakshi said.

According to Sonakshi, Social Justice Week provides students with the opportunity to be in leadership positions and present their perspectives.

In past years, most workshops were led by affinity groups, so this year, the committee is pushing for new clubs to get involved with the goal of this year’s workshops providing a broader range of workshops that cater to people beyond the typical affinity-group audience.

“The diversity of workshops is something that Social Justice Week prides themselves on,” Sonakshi said.