State of the Schools presentation addresses future plans, goals

At the State of the Schools presentation on Feb. 23, Tori Jueds talked about the future of the Laboratory Schools.

The Laboratory Schools will boost need-based financial aid as part of an expanded effort to encourage diversity at the school, Director of Schools Tori Jueds announced in her State of the Schools presentation for families and alumni on Feb. 23. 

The presentation was held over video conference, and a separate presentation was conducted for employees.

In light of last year’s U.S. Supreme Court ruling barring affirmative action in college admissions, Ms. Jueds said the boost in financial aid would be part of the new recruitment initiatives.

“In this new legal landscape, we’re fully compliant with the Supreme Court’s ruling. We do not take protected identity characteristics into account as part of admissions decisions,” she said. “However, we have leaned hard into recruitment for a diverse applicant pool.”

The school also is implementing about a dozen outreach admission initiatives, including events that bring together Black and Latinx individuals.In the past five years, Black student enrollment has increased from 8.5% to 11% while Latinx student enrollment has increased from 6.5% to 7.2%. Ms. Jueds indicated that moves to make a Lab education affordable to more families will help further increase those numbers.

“Financial aid is a mission-driven strategic priority for Lab,” she said. “Our financial aid budget is generous compared to many schools, and it’s been growing again.”

Ms. Jueds also addressed the recent discourse surrounding the University of Chicago’s decision that land acknowledgement statements from it as an institution are political and not permitted under the Kalven Report, which prohibits institutional political statements in order to encourage more individual expression.

“Kalven has merit where we are consistent and going forward,” she said while noting that University President Paul Alivisatos had encouraged the Lab community to create a “committee on free expression” and “open discourse” that is being led by about 14 educators and university partners.