Applications open for student voice on diversity committee

The+Diversity+Advisory+Council+invites+new+members+to+apply.+Members+of+previous+years+were+part+of+the+process+of+editing+the+Diversity+Action+Plan.+

Peter Pu

The Diversity Advisory Council invites new members to apply. Members of previous years were part of the process of editing the Diversity Action Plan.

Adrianna Nehme, Assistant Editor

The Diversity Advisory Committee is accepting applications for one sophomore or junior student representative by Oct. 13 at noon. 

The Diversity Advisory Committee is composed of members from all constituent groups at the Laboratory schools who meet once a month to ensure that Lab is a diverse, inclusive and equitable community where all members feel accepted. According to Priyanka Rupani, Laboratory Schools director of diversity, equity and inclusion, the committee has spent the past two years composing the Diversity Action Plan.

“Our responsibility this year as a committee is to do two things: one look at our action plan and think about what our specific priorities are for future years but also to hold our school accountable to the priorities that we have identified this year,” Ms. Rupani said. 

I like hearing the different perspectives from teachers, and I guess parents from all the different schools.

— Eliza Doss

Eliza Doss, senior, is one of the current student representatives on the committee. Last year she was involved in the editing process of the Diversity Action Plan. 

“I like hearing the different perspectives from teachers, and I guess parents from all the different schools,” Eliza said. “It just helps me get an understanding of different viewpoints at Lab surrounding DEI.”

The responsibility of the student representative will be to come to meetings and present student perspectives to guarantee that student voices are included within all decision making processes.

Ms. Rupani says that some things the committee will look for when choosing the representative are students that demonstrate an interest in the Diversity Advisory Committee, who have already been involved in advancing DEI topics, who are willing to work collaboratively to make change by identifying areas of growth and students who are able to think strategically about DEI at Lab.