Photojournalists recognized in national contest

Midway Staff

Junior Matt Petres was recognized in the beginning documentary/street photography for photos of the Columbus Day parade in October.

Audrey Matzke, Reporter

Correction: A previous edition stated that there were five U-High photojournalists recognized nationally. There are three. 1/28/22 11:00 a.m..

Three U-High photojournalists have been recognized in a national contest.

Selecting from 4,800 entries, judges for the Association of Texas Photography Instructors recognized the U-High photographers in the Fall 2021 contest open to students around the country. 

Among them, junior Matt Petres received first place and first honorable mention in the beginning documentary/street photography for photos of the Columbus Day parade in October. 

“That day, I’d gone there early, like a couple hours early,” Matt said of his experience shooting the event downtown. “I stayed there for basically the entire thing, so I was proud of the work I put in.”

Additionally, senior Andrew Burke-Stevenson was awarded third place in advanced street photography, along with an honorable mention in advanced student life. In the beginning sports action category, junior Gabriel Issa earned an honorable mention.