Math Team finishes with high scores, state qualification at regional competition

Aubrey Felsen
The Math Team competed at the ICTM Regionals on Feb. 24, finishing with the second-highest score in the region and the third-highest score in Illinois.

The Math Team competed at the ICTM Regionals on Feb. 24, finishing with the second-highest score in the region and the third-highest score in Illinois. Held at Niles West High School, U-High’s junior team, freshmen/sophomore team and junior/senior team each took home first place scores from this tournament and qualified for the state tournament. 

The Math Team meets at least once a week, with students who were competing in multiple competitions on Feb. 24 coming to more practices a week. 

“There is a detriment in our size,” captain Adam Tang said, while reflecting on the regional competition, in which they competed against larger schools, “but I think being a smaller school, you get to know your peers much more, and it really helps with the work environment.”

The Math Team won the state competition last year, a feat that Adam is confident can be repeated on April 6 at Illinois State University. 

Adam said, “I think we just continue how we’re doing this, making sure each different event [team] meets once a week.”