Math team places second at first meet, hopes for higher ranking

Ishani Hariprasad

Junior Hannah Dinner solves a problem during a weekly math team practice. The math team placed second at the North Suburban Math League meet, its first competition of the year.

Amy Ren, Assistant Editor

The math team placed second at the school year’s first ​​North Suburban Math League meet on Sept. 29.

In their individual divisions, the senior team placed first, the junior team placed second, the sophomore team placed third and the ninth grade team placed fourth.

Jeffrey Chen, a team captain, thought they did well overall. 

It was the ninth graders’ first meet, Jeffrey said, and some also competed for the sophomore team because the team’s sophomores were at sophomore retreat, which happened Sept. 28-30.

The team is currently ranked sixth in Illinois, which is the same place they finished in last year.

Jeffrey’s main goal for the team is to rank higher in the NSML, Illinois Math League and Illinois Council of Teachers and Mathematics.

“I think a reasonable goal is to rank better in the NSML than last year,” he said. “It’d be top five, and I think it’s achievable because we have a pretty strong team. I think we can also, like, keep our first place in the IML, and I also hope we’ll do well in ICTM State.”