From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

Students to discuss mental health topics through small groups

Henry Benton
Counselor Teddy Stripling converses with two students in the hallway. Mr. Stripling, who ran similar programs at several times before both at Lab and at other schools, is leading the support groups.

Students will have the opportunity to learn about and discuss mental health with peers and counselors through weekly small groups.

The groups consist of one or two counselors working with anywhere from 3 to 10 students. The groups will meet at whatever times are best for students, which will most likely be during Lab periods, according to counselor Teddy Stripling.

Students may sign up for one or more groups through this form.

Mr. Stripling, who has led small groups several times before both at Lab and at other schools, said the groups will focus on student needs.

“They come and go,” Mr. Stripling said. “It really is just dependent on what students are interested in and what they want to participate in.”

In the schoolwide health and wellness survey, Mr. Stripling noticed trends of anxiety, depression and isolation, and he wanted to address those issues by giving students a space to talk about those feelings.

He intends for the groups to offer support to interested students by allowing them the opportunity to talk to others while learning skills for mindfulness and relaxation, and to manage test anxiety.