Food fills a range of roles in club activities

Eli Raikhel
Students take bagels at Jewish Students’ Association club, where bagels are offered every Friday. Food plays a crucial role in many clubs in a range of ways, from attracting members to raising money.

It’s lunch on a Friday. Students return from the cafeteria burgers and fries in hand, yet their minds are occupied by something else: bagels. Bagels sit in a plastic case at the head of the classroom used for this club meeting, tubs of cream cheese beside them. One by one, students walk to the front, examining the case of bagels, grabbing their bagels of choice, and spreading cream cheese across them as they talk to one another at the Jewish Students’ Association meeting. 

Whether its at events, fundraisers or on posters, food plays a major role in the management of clubs, allowing club activities to gain more traction.

“Food is something that everyone buys,” said Rathin Shah, leader of the Political Discourse Club.

The Political Discourse Club recently held a bake sale with the goal of helping children in Israel, West Bank and Gaza who have been affected by the war. 

Club members chose to hold a bake sale since it allowed for both sides of a largely politicized conflict to help children harmed by the war in Israel and Gaza. Along with the help of other clubs, who contributed food for the cause, they were able to sell out on several food items, raising a lot of money to help combat the humanitarian crisis.   

Food is not always the center of attention during a club’s activities, though.

The Hindu Students Club recently held a Diwali/Navratri festival, where club members served Indian food like samosas and idli, but they also had many other major activities being henna, a jewelry bazaar and garba (dance).

“It was mainly about the other things,” said Aran Maltorra, leader of the Hindu Students Club. “The food was kind of just complementary, there for people who wanted it.”

According to Aran, while people may have initially grabbed food with their friends, the other activities quickly became the centers of attention, with garba being the main attraction.

Food can often be used to insure people’s attendance, not just for events, but for regular club meetings as well.

The Jewish Students’ Association’s board brings bagels and cream cheese to their club meetings every Friday.

According to club president Zetta Mrizek, not only are bagels a traditional Jewish food, but they help motivate members to attend the club meetings and discuss modern events, upcoming celebrations, or just hang out.

As lunch continues the students talk amongst each other. Some discuss upcoming celebrations, others simply play games with their friends. Among the conversations the case of bagels sits  silently at the head of the classroom, having fulfilled its purpose.