From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

At International Day, Lab community celebrates cultural diversity through food

Eli Raikhel
For the hour-long ArtsFest lunch period on Feb. 28, the Student Council hosted U-High’s first International Day, where a group of nearly 30 parent and staff volunteers provided students with a free lunch of international cuisine samples. 

The sun lit up Judd C116 as a flowing line of students made their way around food-covered tables, picking up dish samples while lively music played in the background. For the hour-long ArtsFest lunch period on Feb. 28, the Student Council hosted U-High’s first International Day, where a group of nearly 30 parent and staff volunteers provided students with a free lunch of international cuisine samples. 

With the mission of making a new U-High tradition centered around educating students on the variety of nationalities in Lab’s diverse community, Student Council members worked for months to find a way to host a fun but educational event.

“The difficulty with this event was that we really had no idea of how many people were going to come to it,” senior Zoe Nathwani, all-school president, said. “It was kind of like a trial run.”

Despite having 27 different dishes, the food quickly emptied out within the first half of the lunch period. Dozens of students ate at crowded tables set up in C116 or in the hallways, and despite the decreasing food levels, there was a consistent chatter of happy voices. 

“Most of the feedback we got from parents was like, ‘This needs to be a bigger event; bigger space for next year; we should really make this into a big thing,’’’ Zoe said.

With foods from tiramisu to tteokbokki, many parents set up placards explaining their dish’s cultural origins, so students could learn about each dish. Parent Renee Salomon brought in noodle kugel, a traditional Jewish casserole commonly made with noodles and potatoes. 

“I just think that it brings some understanding just to appreciate other people’s backgrounds and understand where they come from,” Ms. Salomon said. “In the U.S. we all come from different places, but in this community especially, we’re all very tolerant and interested in learning about others’ backgrounds, so I just think that this is an important way to bring people together and start those types of conversations.”

Other adults at the event shared Ms. Salomon’s sentiments, appreciating the opportunity to introduce students to a variety of foods and eliminating biases or ignorance. Lab parent Ripla Malhotra brought Khichri, a South Asian savory porridge made with lentils and rice mixed with Indian spices, onions, ginger and garlic. Stationed near the start of the food line, she and other parents enthusiastically greeted students with bright smiles and beckoning waves. Ms. Malhotra was pleased with the turnout and hoped the students learned something new.

Junior Nutan Ganigara enjoyed being able to try a variety of foods, particularly happy that the event was so widespread. She’s attended past events led by different affinity groups and appreciates International Day’s broader goal of inclusivity. By counting how many plates were remaining, Student Council estimated there were nearly 300 attendees within the first 30 minutes. They’ve set up a feedback form for student attendees to fill out to ensure future success.

“It was just a really lively event,” Zoe said. “I’m hoping that next year, and into the future years, that people continue doing it because I thought it was really great.”