Rhythmic Journey: U-High Band was founded through jazz, evolved into friendship
Spring musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ showcases story of rock idol

Nadia Washington: Candidate for Class of 2027 president

What sort of ideas, projects or initiatives do you have for next year? What is your main goal?

“One of my main goals is to make sure that voices are heard in my grade. There are a lot of suggestions and opinions, and I want to make sure that all of them are respected and taken seriously. So one of the things that I’ve heard a lot of comments about is that there’s no clock in the pool. It’d be really helpful if there wasn’t just a stopwatch but an actual clock, so I would try to do some to do a bill that’s focusing on that to see if we can make that happen. I remember at the beginning of the school year, there was a pep rally and recognition for the fall sports, but that did not continue for the winter or spring sports, so I think that’s something that would be appreciated. I’m really open to anything, but I think definitely one of my goals is just to try my best to hear people out and then try to implement their ideas.”

What experiences and skills make you qualified for this position?

“I’m currently in the ninth grade Cultural Union, and then I am on the BRAVE conference board, so I’ve had leadership roles in the past. I think generally I’m a very approachable person, so I feel like it would just be natural for people to come up to me and talk to me. I think that that would make me a good president.”

How do you plan on being the middleman at the intersection of high school students, faculty and administration?

“It’s taking into account the opinions of students but also thinking about realistically how things will work out. Sometimes students can be really emotional over the causes that they’re passionate about, and I’d just be trying to make sure things aren’t forgotten about, but also that they’re not pushed too much to the point where faculty get irritated by it. We want to find a common ground.”