“The Idea of You” features strong acting, feminist themes
Crossing with care: Hyde Park crossing guard brings connection, positivity

Spring musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ showcases story of rock idol

Alex Diamond
The spring musical, “Bye Bye Birdie,” will take place in the Sherry Lansing Theater on May 16, 17 and 18.

The two-hour production takes place in 1958 and tells the story of Albert Peterson and Rose Alvarez trying to save Almaelou Music Company, while their biggest rock star, Conrad Birdie, is being drafted into the Vietnam War.

“It’s based on the fact Elvis (Presley) was being drafted into the army, so it has the story of a rock idol being drafted,” Liucija Ambrosini, theater director, said.

Mrs. Ambrosini has worked at Lab for 53 years, this year being her last. Mrs. Ambrosini said the choice of the musical has nothing to do with her leaving but all to do with the cast.

“I like to choose a natural progression, a lot of times, for the cast that have been working through the years, and this is a nice ensemble for the cast,” Mrs. Ambrosini said.

The cast of more than 25 includes onstage and offstage personnel, ninth graders through seniors.

The musical features Isaac Sutherland playing Albert Peterson, Lena Valenti playing Rose Alvarez, Whit Waterstraat playing Conrad Birdie, Evelyn Halbach playing Kim McAfee, Peter O’Donnell playing Randolf McAfee, Aaron Moss playing Mr. McAfee, Sienna Yamini playing Ms. McAfee, Eliza Dearing playing Ms. Peterson, and Alex Fogel playing Ursula Merkle.

“Bye Bye Birdie” will start at 7:30 p.m. each performance. Tickets are now available for $10 and can be bought before school, after school and during lunch.