Food service to improve with changes

Sonny Lee, Deputy Editor

Changes made to the Aramark’s food service operations in the past few weeks will speed the lunch lines but limit the hours students may be able to visit the coffee shop.

Among the changes are the appointment of new Food Service Director Amanda Molina and the use of the coffee shop staff in the cafeteria between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Six cafeteria employees left at the end of winter quarter. Chef Manager Efren Sosa said they had found new jobs.

In addition to improving communication with the cafeteria staff, Ms. Molina said her job is to watch the process and note any ways to provide better, more efficient service.

“I’m going to start seeing the glitches and fixing them,” Ms. Molina said.

Mr. Sosa explained the Judd coffee shop is closed during the lunch hours so extra staff can provide support in the cafeteria and help make the lines quicker during the lunch time rush.

Students who have visited the cafeteria during slower hours, have come to registers with no staff member available, meaning students possibly could leave the area without paying.

Ms. Molina explained that though the staff is often in the back restocking, there is should be someone attending the front. She encouraged students to find someone in the cafeteria office if no cashier is present.

Ms. Molina said students should soon see a difference in the food service culture.