Four U-High teachers honored by UChicago

Midway Staff

History teacher Christy Gerst, English teacher Christine Himmelfarb, science teacher Zachary Hund and math teacher Julia Maguire were awarded the University of Chicago’s Outstanding Educator Award.

Krishita Dutta, Arts Co-Editor

Four U-High teachers have been recognized by the University of Chicago for their thoughtful thinking, love for learning and care for students. 

History teacher Christy Gerst, English teacher Christine Himmelfarb, math teacher Julia Maguire and science teacher Zachary Hund were awarded the University of Chicago’s Outstanding Educator Award.

Students accepted into the university’s Class of 2025 were tasked with nominating teachers from their high schools in recognition of the valuable guidance they provided students. The four U-High teachers were nominated by former students. 

Dr. Hund said it was exciting to win the award.

“I feel thrilled and honored, especially knowing the nomination came from one of my previous Lab students,” Dr. Hund said. 

Dr. Hund believes the award serves as a reminder that the work faculty put in at Lab is well worth the effort and positively impacts students.

A virtual event on Oct. 25 was held to celebrate this year’s winners. According to Dr. Hund, the celebration and getting to hear all the other award winners’ remarks was incredibly heartwarming. 

“It was great to listen to other nominations for teachers across the country, and in turn learn about what makes a teacher so important and impactful to former students,” Dr. Hund said.

For Ms. Maguire, receiving the award was extremely gratifying — especially after a tough year of distance learning. 

“I’m honored that I received the award,” Ms. Maguire said. “I’m grateful to be a teacher and really appreciate the recognition, especially after this difficult year.”