Lab plans to fund student educational, service trips

Abby Slimmon, Reporter

Have you ever wanted to take a trip with your fellow classmates to see, do or learn about something educational? Here is your chance.

Ned Reece, Lab’s director of auxiliary services, wants U-High students to know that if they have an idea for a trip over summer break, he will try to make it happen.

“We want to give students the opportunity to go and explore new places,” Mr. Reece said.

Students will first have to come up with an idea and should write out a brief description of what they would want to do. In the past, a student wanted to take a trip to Italy to look at the art, so art teacher Brian Wildeman ended up taking 15 students to Rome and Florence.

Students should then find a teacher who would be willing to chaperone the trip and a group of interested students before having a meeting with Mr. Reece. After that, Mr. Reece can work on the overall details of the trip including what tour companies to use.

“Then, we determine how much it will cost, usually in conjunction with a student travel organization such as EF Tours or ACIS,” Mr. Reece said. ACIS is the American Council for International Studies. “Making this determination includes assumptions about how many students will go on the trip, how many chaperones, how long the trip is, etc.”

After Mr. Reece and the administration have decided the cost, the trip will be offered to interested students. The trip is funded by families of the students going on the trip, but in the past, financial assistance has been provided to some students.

“If people have ideas, by all means bring them here and we will try to make them happen,” Mr. Reece said. “We want our students to be able to go out and see or do what interests them.”