Science department releases climate change statement

Miriam Bloom

The climate change statement includes that science education at Lab will model practices focusing on refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle and repair.

Jack Hurst, Reporter

In an effort to lead within the Laboratory Schools in taking action against climate change, the science department has crafted a climate change statement.

The department is the first to do so. The science department faculty members felt it was their duty as science teachers to lead and inform the school in the areas of sustainability and climate change through teaching and setting an example for the other departments.

In their statement they said that their goals are to promote critical thinking, help people recognize their energy privilege, model sustainable practices, develop communication skills, and to foster design skills to promote the initiative

The process of crafting this statement took a while as the department wanted to make sure that all members of the department were entirely behind it.

Department chair Zachary Hund said the department agreed on the outline but just wanted to get everyone to be happy with the exact wording used. 

Dr. Hund said, “The statement must fully reflect all of the department’s goals and objectives in order to be the most impactful.”

He said they hope their statement inspires other departments to recognize and take action against the crisis that is climate change.

The full statement is below.

UCLS Science Department Climate Change Statement

The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools Science Department recognizes that human activity is primarily responsible for our current climate crisis. 

With this acknowledgement, comes the responsibility that the science education of all Laboratory Schools students incorporates experiences with the following five themes:

• Critical thinking skills that promote scientific literacy regarding climate change research.
  • Assisting community members in recognizing their individual and community energy and materials privilege. 
  • Modeling sustainable practices that focus on refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle and repair, that will begin to shift the department towards being carbon neutral. 
  • Developing and practicing communication skills to be confident advocates for their future. 
  • Fostering design and engineering opportunities to promote initiative.

The Science Department is committed to ensuring that our students appreciate the scientific process and are scientifically literate, responsible citizens of Earth.