Switching to semesters will benefit students

Semesters have slower pace, leave time for electives

Jasmine Wang

Editorial Board

The U-High calendar has long revolved around the University’s quarter system, which has meant students and faculty face three quarters of unequal length each year. However, with the faculty’s vote to implement a new semester system beginning next school year, U-High will have the potential to have a more effectively paced school year and the flexibility for more classes and electives.

Some students have expressed trepidation about transitioning away from the quarter system because the year will no longer be split by the winter and spring breaks. However, under a semester system, the overall pacing of the year will more effectively allow students to learn class material at a consistent pace.

As grading periods will be more evenly split, students won’t experience the whiplash of enduring a 16-week quarter in the fall and then having to rush through a 12-week quarter in the winter. Since faculty would only give midterm comments twice a year, teachers would have a longer period of time for homework, tests and projects before midterm comments, which would avoid rushing material and increased stress solely to meet the midterm comment deadline. Classes like English 3/4, when split into semester-long electives, would also benefit with additional time to delve into more material or explore concepts and ideas with more depth.

A semester schedule also presents a wealth of new opportunities and possibilities for the traditional U-High curriculum. With the potential to break the mold of the year-long course, classes in the arts, journalism, computer science, history and sciences could be divided into semester-long courses, which would allow students to mix and match subject areas and explore interests. With this added flexibility, students could also choose to have an open period for one semester, and take an elective in that period the next semester or vice versa based on how busy their schedules are during certain parts of the year.

Although the quarter system has been a defining attribute of U-High for many students and faculty, it’s time to break our mold and embrace the possibilities a semester calendar has to offer.

With more consistent pacing and the potential for a more flexible curriculum, U-High is taking a step in the right direction toward a balanced, forward-thinking learning community.

This editorial represents the opinion of the Midway’s Editorial Board.