Mindful Mornings

Counselor encourages students to be mindful to promote wellness.

Otto Brown, Midway Reporter

Due to a lack of student attendance, mindfulness workshops on Tuesdays during open time have ceased, but this is not the end of wellness initiatives. Mindfulness is a new, trendy way to clear one’s mind and become fully present in a given moment. Workshops began earlier this quarter, according to school counselor Theodore Stripling, who ran the workshops.

“Turnout was lower than I expected and I am exploring other options to do some mindfulness activities in the classroom,” Mr. Stripling said. “I am trying to set another time to get more students to participate,” he continued.

Mr. Stripling said that students are often overloaded and don’t find time to relax.

“Some students are too stressed to relax,” he added.

Coordinator for Wellness and Deputy Title IX Coordinator Betsy Noel said that mindfulness and other wellness initiatives were spurred by results from last year’s wellness survey. Ms. Noel said that wellness programming will continue to be integrated into counselor and advisory programming.

“There is a competition for time,” Ms. Noel said in reference to balancing wellness initiatives with other activities. “That being said, unstructured time is important, too.”

For students who are interested in partaking in wellness activities but can’t find the time in the school day, Mr. Stripling recommends apps to help focus such as “Calm” and “Headspace,” or simply finding a few moments each day to slow down and relax. 

Parts of this story were cut for space in issue 95.7 of the U-High Midway.