Computer science classes broaden course topics

Tosya Khodarkovsky

PROGRAMMING FUN. Nicholas Pietrazek, Henry Sowerby and Suleyman Ahmed work on programming for their AP Computer Science class. The class focuses on learning to program with Java on BlueJ.

Katerina Lopez, Assistant Editor

The computer science department is under revision with improved courses. The remodeled AP Computer Science classes have taken topics from the freshman course and are covering the material with more depth.

The traditional AP Computer Science class focuses on programming with Java. There is another class called Computer Architecture which allows kids to design a computer system, which includes hardware, wiring circuits, installing software, and the operating system. 

Computer science classes have had the highest enrollment in U-High’s history this year.  According to computer science teacher Daniel Wheadon, this could be due to the fact that the required introductory computer science course students take in ninth grade has been remodeled.

“We’ve changed some of the content last year and are doing even more changes this year. I think that is the one advantage we have over other schools as far as their AP enrollment,” he said. “The size of the school and the number of students we have is proportionally quite large. This is primarily because of the freshman course, which exposes students to computer science and makes them want to pursue it further.”

Junior David Libes, a student in the AP Computer Science course, said he liked the freshman course and wanted to continue coding.

“I wanted to take computer science because I had a great time in it and I wanted to see if I had a knack for coding,” he said. “Coding has become a very good job skill to have, so it will be easier to get a good job.”

Mr. Wheadon said he has also observed how widespread computer science has become. 

“People are using computer science in many different fields which is another reason why there is a rise in interest,” he said.