Stepping back on campus: students socialize in various activities

Junior+Jessica+Slear+crochets+in+an+activity+at+the+mixed+grade+event+Feb.+5.+

Malcolm Taylor

Junior Jessica Slear crochets in an activity at the mixed grade event Feb. 5.

Carolyn Gao, Reporter

On Feb. 5 from 4-6 p.m., 53 students were welcomed back to school to crochet, use the makerspace, play brain games and much more, after registering for offered activities on Schoology. The administration aimed to provide an opportunity for students to see each other in person and to socialize. 

Other activities included walking on the Jackman Field track, sitting around a campfire in the outdoor classroom, or simply relaxing in an area with friends. However, due to the cold weather, outdoor activities were canceled. 

Each activity had a maximum capacity of 15 students of mixed grades and one teacher supervising. However, the number of students engaging in activities varied greatly — from three students who played heads-up-seven-up to about 10 students in an interactive e-games activity.  

Many safety measures were taken, such as spacing out the desks a few feet apart and making sure students used hand sanitizer before entering. Everyone also wore masks, and teachers reminded students to follow social distancing rules, although it was not always maintained. 

Junior Malcolm Taylor noted that sometimes when people high fived, shook hands or were closer than six feet, teachers didn’t always call them out for these actions, which he said could be improved on.

For the most part, Malcolm said that he was surprised at how well controlled the event was, and he expressed how he was astounded to actually be at school.

“It was kinda surreal to see Mr. Beekmeyer and Ms. Campos at school after having not for almost a year,” he said. 

Junior Jessica Slear had similar thoughts, but she said she wished that more people showed up, especially new students, who could take advantage of the social opportunity.

She said she would definitely go again and recommended that students attend to gain a unique experience.

“I would encourage people who didn’t sign up last time to go to the next one,” Jessica said. 

The next event is taking place Feb. 19, and the sign-up will be released Feb. 10 on Schoology with 10 activities to choose from.