Lab should feature more student-made art throughout the school

Midway staff

The return to in-person learning provides a chance to make the school feel more welcoming by having more ways for student art to be featured and more spaces where that art can remain for the next generation of Lab students to enjoy, writes assistant editor Amon Gray.

Amon Gray, Assistant Editor

The building of Gordon Parks Arts Hall in 2015 and the renovation of other areas throughout the school has left the hallways largely empty and void of student-made art and art made to last.

The high school should feature more student-made art and murals painted by students in areas that are not being more utilized. Similar to the display cases in the entrance to the high school lobby, there should be one for Gordon Parks Arts Hall and for the middle school.

In Belfield Hall, which came before Gordon Parks, in Blaine Hall before the renovation, and other recently renovated areas, student art from the distant past to today was featured prominently. With recent expansions, that process should be started again. While there is a mural being painted on the second floor, the school has not made many spaces in Gordon Parks Arts Hall for student art to remain permanently for generations to come. 

The return to in-person learning provides a chance to make the school feel more welcoming by having more ways for student art to be featured and more spaces where that art can remain for the next generation of Lab students to enjoy.