Be more active in self-love, embracing one’s body

Midway staff

By knowing that they have purposefully improved themselves, people will be more satisfied not only with their body but also with their mentality, writes reporter Carolyn Gao.

Carolyn Gao, Reporter

During the pandemic, the struggle with weight has inched its way into the lives of countless people, with reports from the American Psychological Association (APA) showing that more than two in five Americans gained weight, with those in the adult category packing on a median of 15 unwanted pounds since the start of the pandemic. The declining personal body image and self-esteem has taken a toll on many people’s mental health and placed issues such as anxiety and depression at a higher stake than ever.

Although supporting all body types and fostering an all-accepting environment is vital, Americans and Lab students need to be more active in loving themselves, whether that be working on embracing one’s body the way it is or striving to accomplish a set goal.

Changing habits in exercise, carefully choosing meals, and even incorporating mindfulness into one’s day have been proven to not only help a person become more content with their body, but also largely boost their morale and esteem. But what’s more essential than using these methods is setting a goal, whether it be mental or physical, and recognizing steps being taken to achieve it — every step is a milestone.

In order to be fully proud of who one is inside and out, people need to take initiative. By knowing that they have purposefully improved themselves, people will be more satisfied not only with their body but also with their mentality.