Seniors gather for picnic, final walk of historic campus

Under the heat of the beaming sun on Scammon Garden, seniors gathered for lunch and a few honors on June 9 in their last class event before graduation.

The program included a faculty speech from Zachary Hund and remarks from Principal Paul Beekmeyer, Dean of Students Ana Campos and Alumni Relations Director Michael Zarobe. Through speeches and honorary diplomas, students recognized teachers for making an impact on their high school experience and walked the halls of the historic campus for the last time. 

“It’s nice to see everyone but it’s definitely going to be really hard to say goodbye, especially because so many of these people I haven’t seen at all because of Zoom learning,” Jasmine Tan said. 

Sana Shahul also enjoyed being given the opportunity to have a final senior gathering.

“It’s been going well, so great to see everybody,” Sana said. “Chat it up with people I haven’t really seen in a while. It’s so nice to finally have senior gatherings and know that we have some sense of normalcy.”

Seniors gather in the tent on Scammon Garden to conclude high school. (Malcolm Taylor)
Science teacher Zachary Hund gives the faculty speech to the Class of 2021. “Please use your next start as an opportunity to be yourself,” said Dr. Hund, the elected faculty speaker for the event. “Remember if you lose yourself, you’ll never truly be happy for long. So stay true to you, find people you get along with.” (Malcolm Taylor)
History teacher Holly Johnston, left, hugs Elizabeth Lin, who had just recognized Ms. Johnston on behalf of the Class of 2021 for the impact she had on students. “She challenged us intellectually, pushed us to be independent, but also gave us structure and the resources we needed to be successful,” Elizabeth said. “But more importantly, she believed in us.” (Malcolm Taylor)
Aanika Atluri and Olivia Poston walk the Judd hallway. Seniors walked through the historic campus for the last time with faculty, administrators and younger students celebrating them. (Malcolm Taylor)