Computer science teacher receives award for inspiring, engaging students

Jeremy+Schwartz%2C+computer+science+teacher%2C+poses+with+his+Computer+Science+Teacher+Excellence+Award.+

Matt Petres

Jeremy Schwartz, computer science teacher, poses with his Computer Science Teacher Excellence Award.

Ethan Swinger, Reporter

Computer science teacher and department chair Jeremy Schwartz was awarded one of 10 Computer Science Teacher Excellence Awards this summer from the Computer Science Teachers Association.

The awards recognize outstanding teaching by K-12 computer science teachers in inspiring and engaging students to explore the rigorous field of computer science. Winners received complimentary registration to the 2021 CSTA virtual conference, a cash prize and a featured article published by CTSA’s newspaper, the Voice. 

The awards are sponsored by the Infosys Foundation, an organization established to create opportunities for less privileged and underrepresented groups in computer science.

I’m glad to have contributed some part to the development of the computer science program as we move toward the future.

— Mr. Schwartz

According to Mr. Schwartz, winning the award was one of the most positive and uplifting parts of an extremely challenging year, especially with the difficulties of teaching remotely. 

Mr. Schwartz said the award affirms the hard work the computer science department has been doing, which would not be possible without the school providing the necessary support, resources and trust in teachers to expand programs.

“It feels good to receive some recognition. I’ve been working hard at Lab to improve the computer science program. We’ve started middle school robotics, high school robotics, middle school computer science club,” Mr. Schwartz said. “I’m glad to have contributed some part to the development of the computer science program as we move toward the future.”