Flu vaccination clinic to be held Oct. 26

Chloe Ma

A flu vaccination clinic will be held on Oct. 26 from 3-5:15 p.m at the Laboratory Schools Historic Campus.

Sandra Mordi, Reporter

“It’s another way to try to keep people in school and protect them against the flu,” lead nurse Kristen Szewczyk said.

Ms. Szewczyk said over 250 people had already been vaccinated at U-High’s flu vaccination clinics so far, and she anticipates that at least 200 more will participate on Oct. 26.

Flu vaccine options include injections and nasal sprays, like Flumist, for younger patients. The University of Chicago’s Health4Chicago team of health care providers will deliver them.

Because the FDA has not yet approved the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination for 5 to 11 year-olds, this clinic will not distribute COVID vaccine shots, as was previously planned. Ms. Szewczyk said Lab plans to host a future clinic for that purpose once the vaccine gets approved. 

Health4Chicago accepts the University of Chicago Health Plan as insurance. For other private insurance, participants can call and verify coverage with their provider. 

To register for a flu vaccine, call 773-834-8221 and schedule an appointment with Jennifer Burns from Health4Chicago.