Classes can no longer use Zoom for non-quarantine related absences

Students+absent+for+non-quarantine-+related+reasons+can+no+longer+use+Zoom+to+virtually+attend+class.+

Zoom.us

Students absent for non-quarantine- related reasons can no longer use Zoom to virtually attend class.

Sophie Baker, Reporter

Students who have non-quarantine-related absences such as other illnesses or appointments can no longer use Zoom to virtually attend missed classes, according to a policy that began this school year. 

If a student were to contract COVID-19, they would work with their teachers and the administration to craft an individualized plan based on the comfort of the student. 

Quarantined students will not have to use Zoom for all classes, according to Principal Paul Beekmeyer. He said this is because it is often not necessary to do so. For example, completing a worksheet is something a student could do on their own. 

The administration implemented this policy because they want the focus of the faculty to be on in-person learning. According to Mr. Beekmeyer, it was never the school’s intention to be a remote school and to have to strike a balance between focusing on in-person and remote students. 

Mr. Beekmeyer said he recognizes that Zoom is still a major part of life for many students and adults, but he said that if teachers were to run a Zoom class of any kind, it should be intentional.