Clubs organize winter charity events

Chloe Ma

One of the Cradles to Crayons donation boxes sits in the high school lobby. Cradles to Crayons is accepting winter apparel donations for a limited period of time.

Samuel Beck, Reporter

Two student groups are organizing charity events to help people in need this winter season. Chores for Charity is organizing an event around completing chores and generating funds for the Chicago Food Depository. In addition, Cradles to Crayons has been having a winter apparel drive.

For Chores for Charity, parents, family members or friends have the choice to sponsor a student based on the chores they complete, or simply donate a flat pledge. All proceeds are donated to the Chicago Food Depository

According to senior Noa Longman, who organized the Chores for Charity event, the goal “is to raise $10 per student … which would give out food and money to the greater Chicago area.” 

She said she was inspired to start this event to help Chicagoans.

“I wanted to start a fundraiser that would donate to the area itself,” she said, “so that everybody got something.”

The Cradles to Crayons organization has also conducted a clothing drive. The nonprofit organization based in Chicago regularly collects goods from certain communities within the city and redistributes them to kids in need. Although their drive at U-High officially ended on Nov. 19, Thomas Toney, the service learning coordinator for the Middle School, will accept donations for a limited time. 

Those interested in donating can drop off donations into designated collection boxes in Blaine, middle school and high school entrances and the lobby of Earl Shapiro Hall. Contact Mr. Toney at [email protected], or visit him in room C117 for more information.