Alumnus applies Lab-learned skills to free speech

Grace Zhang, Assistant Editor

For seniors, college is right around the corner. They step out into the real world, leaving Lab only in their memories, yet the skills acquired here will serve them in college and beyond.

Steven Glick, 2013 U-High alumnus

Steven Glick, who graduated from U-High in 2013 and Pomona College in 2017, said his U-High education prepared him for success with the college workload and in his workplace. He also said attending Lab encouraged him to confidently express his ideas despite resistance.

“The combination of great teachers, rigorous coursework, and intelligent, hard-working classmates at Lab definitely put me in a position to succeed academically in college,” Mr. Glick said.

While at Pomona College, Mr. Glick was interested by how the school handled free speech and conflicting views. Students blocked speeches, shut down charities and foundations deemed offensive, and forced a junior class president to resign because her friends had worn sombreros on Halloween, according to Mr. Glick. When he voiced his opinions in Claremont Independent, a student-run publication that had a right-leaning perspective, his works were picked up nationally, such as by The Washington Post, NPR and the Wall Street Journal. He also appeared on Fox News.

Mr. Glick faced backlash that forced him out of multiple activities, such as his on-campus writing job and a study session because his opinions conflicted with those of other students. 

“Shortly before graduation, my peers even circulated a petition calling for my expulsion because they believed my writing was a form of ‘hate speech’ and ‘endangers the well-being of others,’” he said.

Despite facing obstacles, Mr. Glick’s experience at Lab helped him handle the situation. It prepared him to argue his perspective even when met with disagreement and hostility.

Mr. Glick cited his experience in a Harkness discussion with humanities teacher Lisa Miller in 8th grade, where students talked about the 2008 election presidential debates, as an example of Lab’s helpful environment.

“Ms. Miller always did a great job of facilitating the conversation, ensuring that everyone was respectful of one another and that everyone’s voice was heard,” Mr. Glick said.

Today, Mr. Glick works as the project manager for Epic Systems, a healthcare technology company, where he works with hospitals to implement software to track patients and records. It offers a good balanced lifestyle for him.

Mr. Glick suggested that students should get outside their comfort zones and try new things in college, such as joining a new club or taking an unusual class, which could lead to a new interest or career. Writing for a campus publication and joining a fraternity were his favorite parts of college.

“There are few places on earth with as much constant activity as a college campus,” he said. “I think it’s important to make an effort to take advantage of all the opportunities around you.”