Updated Program of Studies includes new course offerings

Erich Raumann, Content Manager

The updated Program of Studies was released Jan. 28, and students must submit course requests by Feb. 21. (Program of Studies)

Students will have far more options and flexibility when choosing their 2022-23 courses due to an increase in semester electives. Students must submit course requests by Feb. 21.

The updated Program of Studies was released Jan. 28. The history department has reworked all tier three course offerings. Art classes Mixed Media and Sculpture are now semester-long electives with an option to repeat. Chemistry C is now Chemistry, and Chemistry M is Accelerated Chemistry. 

In addition to these revisions, several new classes have been added across departments.

Data Science and Literacy: In this math course, students will complete projects to learn the mathematical and programming skills necessary to collect and analyze data. 

It is available to juniors and seniors who have passed Trigonometry, Statistics and Discrete Math Topics or Discrete Math and Statistics. 

Environmental Science: This year-long science course covers the basics of climate change, ecosystem ecology and other topics necessary for understanding what shapes our current environment. Labs, projects and presentations take center stage. 

Microbial pathogenesis: This fall semester science elective covers just about everything disease-related through incorporating topics from immunology, microbiology, virology and epidemiology.  

From Cell to Organism: As a spring semester science elective, “From Cell to Organism” examines the developing embryo while discussing related topics ranging from genetics to evolutionary biology. 

Food Chemistry and Research Methods: This spring semester science elective focuses on scientific literacy. Students will gain a better understanding of the literature at the forefront of today’s research, while also learning about the chemistry behind food. 

Sew-Called Creations: In this fine arts course, students will learn to sew clothes, design textiles and create sustainable, cutting-edge fashion. Some amount of work outside of class is expected. 

Specializations in Digital Music: This music class is available to students who have already completed their music credit, and they can choose their digital music path starting from scratch, or building off skills from previous music classes. Examples of potential paths include learning to operate the Gordon Parks recording studio, writing music for film or performing live electronic music.